Thursday 4 July 2013

Lately

I bought my beloved Blythe doll some months ago and subsequently discovered the wonderful world of vintage Skipper doll clothes. Skipper is Barbie's little sister and in the late 60's/early 70's she had the grooviest mini wardrobe around. I would say that at this point my collecting is bordering on obsession and I'm totally fine with that. I mean look at all of the teeny details! The quality and beauty of these little clothes actually blows my mind a little. Now if I could some how figure out a way to get them in my size I'd be all set.
Brunch, or more specifically breakfast, is my favourite meal of the day. Sadly I usually sleep through the brunching hours or have to work and it inevitably passes me by. So it always feels kind of special when I manage to steal away for a breakfast out. The last brunch place I tried was The Guild, a relatively new brunchie spot in my neighborhood, and it was quite yummy. Brett and I shared the scrambled eggs with cured salmon and asparagus which came with the most tender, dense, and buttery chive biscuit. It was positively dreamy. Their caesars were no slouch either (and I'm quite picky when it comes to spicy tomato/clam juices and booze).
My Mum recently sent me a package with a bunch of her lovely old dresses in it. A swingy Comrags dress with a white rose print on a black background has quickly become my go to summer uniform. Don't the painterly roses remind you of the kinds of flowers Van Gogh used to whip up?
Way back in May Vampire Weekend came out with a new album and I went to see them in concert. I've had "Modern Vampires of the City" on constant repeat ever since. I also went to a see Devendra Banhart at the beginning of June and it was glorious. Random fact: I had no idea that Fabrizio Moretti (formerly of the Strokes) was Devendra's new drummer. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw him up on the stage. My high school locker was absolutely plastered with pictures of Fab and seeing him in person not twenty feet away practically made me faint! Old flames die hard I suppose.
A few of my goals this summer include having as many picnics as possible and being outdoors whenever I can. These pictures are from a particularly epic al fresco afternoon a few weeks ago that was organized by my friend Sarah. There were also two adorable hippie girls wandering around Bellwoods park selling homemade flower crowns that day. I, of course, bought a handful of them.

(picture of Vincent Van Gogh's "White Roses" from here)

2 comments: